Thursday, March 26, 2015

studio stories no.3 no lights! and the walrus

"No lights are needed Fred'rick, a single candle is enough to get that awfully wide silhouette of yours! We have our reasons to complain about such a thing, it's pretty obvious why. 
Now-- get off!"


I was talking with one of my dear Ragtimer friends yesterday night and I brought up Fred Hylands into the conversation. To my(and my father's) surprise, she had heard of Mr. Hylands before, but wasn't sure where the name came up and why it did. But she brought up two little things that I immediately took them for classic studio stories. 

The first thing she brought up was this story where Hylands was standing on the stage for a photograph to be taken, but the photographers ordered Fred that they wouldn't take it in such a lighting, and not for the reason many would think. It was not because of the camera's poor abilities, it was the snobbish opinions of the camera boys. Why did they do this? Well, it was all because of his size! They just couldn't get over it!(assholes!) 
This story made me and my dad wail with laughter, but I felt so bad about it afterward, because I respect the man so much. Well, everyone runs into this problem sometime. 

Alright, so the second thing she told me was that all of these theater newspaper writers all made fun of Hylands because he looked like a sort of walrus on the stage(hey! it's damn true!).
just proving my point...

 This was the thing that really got me, and every time it comes to my mind it makes me laugh! It was the truth, and the truth hurts oftentimes. I don't really see any reason to poke at him though, there was nothing wrong with his stage presence and he was clearly a very entertaining pianist and performer. This is just a perfect example of the harsh ways of the critics in the entertainment world. 

I cannot thank my dear friend Aja for these wonderful and comical stories! 
I would have put the dates for these stories, but she did not specify, so when I find out, I will add to it accordingly. 
I hope you enjoyed this! 

No comments:

Post a Comment